10 on 10: High Noon on the High Sea

This Saturday’s portrait shoot with Ana was a breath of fresh air.  I wasn’t sure it was going to happen because the day before had poured down rain, but I was prepared to shoot inside if the weather failed us.

With the amazing clouds in the sky, we decided we’d be out in nature as originally planned.

It would be an adventure.  We’d find a spot near the ocean where neither of us had ever been, and we’d create images.   We’d know the place when we saw it, and after searching for a while, at the end of one of the arbitrary streets, there it was!   Other than wave-scrutinizing surfers high up on the cliff where we’d parked, it was just us two.   The sun was so high up in the sky I was pretty certain we wouldn’t get much of anything, but with a limited window of time with Ana, I had no other choice but to go for it!

We climbed down the steps to a few flat rocks where we could set up, and a trail of more uneven, slippery moss-covered rocks that dropped off into the rough sea.  I had my reflector and did my best to hold it AND my camera.   I competed with the sun and the wind to put a little bit of light on Ana.

After a few trips up the steep stairs back to my car to find whatever I could to make it work, I settled on the tripod and remote allowing me the freedom to hold the reflector with two hands and it worked!  Enough for my liking, anyway.

As we were there a while, more daredevils came out to surf and kayak in the treacherous sea.   You can’t tell from the photos how rough it was, but I was scared for all the surfers who dared jump in to this spinning cycle of the ocean hoping to paddle over to waves that weren’t accessible any other way than to jump off a cliff.

Here are some of the shots of Ana and a few of the thrill seekers.

Please follow around the 10 on 10 circle of women, starting with the lovely Kristina Rust!   You won’t be disappointed!  This is our last 10 on 10 post for the year, so I wish you all very Happy Holidays!

P.S.   You can find me on instagram for images daily!

This entry was posted in 10 on 10, Blog, Client Sessions, Nature, Photography and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

8 Comments

1. Posted December 15, 2014 at 3:37 pm by Kristina | Permalink

Wow! Beautiful shots of Ana and that surf looks scary! But makes for an awesome background!! I need you to teach me how to use a reflector….such great images!

• Posted December 15, 2014 at 11:46 pm by Kim | Permalink

I’d love to show you how to use the reflector, Kristina. I hope I get that opportunity. Thank you!

2. Posted December 16, 2014 at 11:43 pm by Kathleen | Permalink

These are so amazing Kim! I love the first image – the light on the ocean and the silhouette, perfect! If anyone reading this is not following you on Instagram, please do yourself a favor and follow ~ one of her images was featured on their WHP Weekend Hashtag Project. Congrats Kim, it’s so exciting xoxoo

• Posted January 14, 2015 at 9:46 pm by Kim | Permalink

Thank you so much, lovey! You are so cool..and I forgot to reply to this comment last month. love you lots!

3. Posted December 23, 2014 at 5:38 pm by Connie Hanks | Permalink

So beautiful, Kimmie! Gorgeous day – definitely got lucky after those crazy rains! Miss you!

• Posted January 14, 2015 at 9:45 pm by Kim | Permalink

Thank you, dear Connie!

4. Posted January 14, 2015 at 9:32 am by Trine Lise | Permalink

Hello lovely,
    This article is so inspiring and the images are really beautiful, Kimmie – great work. I love the one where Ana´s skirt is caught by the wind. I am really looking forward to reed more from you on your blog :-)

• Posted January 14, 2015 at 9:44 pm by Kim | Permalink

Thank you, dear Trine! I look forward to having you in the 10on10 circle and reading your blog posts and viewing your gorgeous photos! xo

One Trackback

1. […] and a nice fire! Be sure to head on over to my adorable friend and uber talented photographer Kim Bajorek! She headed out for a high noon photo shoot at the beach, capturing her beautiful friend in front […]